- Quentin Mathe firstname.lastname@example.org, David Chisnall
- David Chisnall, Quentin Mathe, Uli Kusterer, Yen-Ju Chen, Eric Wasylishen
- Modified BSD License
EtoileFoundation is the core framework for all Etoile projects, providing numerous convenience methods on top of the OpenStep foundation and significantly better support for reflection. Here is a summary of some the interesting features:
- mirror-based reflection (work-in-progress)
- mixins and traits
- collection class protocol and additions
- convenient macros such as FOREACH
- dynamic C array
- generic history model
- stack trace recording
Note: Restartable exceptions are not available in this release.
Two sub-frameworks are bundled with it:
- EtoileThread which allows objects to transparently be run in a separate thread.
- EtoileXML which is a light-weight and tolerant XML parsing framework whose main ability is to handle truncated and not well-formed XML documents. For example, with XML streams used by the XMPP protocol, the XML is received in fragments.
Warning: EtoileThread is not available in this release.
Build and Install
Read INSTALL.Cocoa or INSTALL.GNUstep documents.
Mac OS X and iOS support
EtoileFoundation is supported on Mac OS X (10.6 or higher) and iOS (5 or higher), minus the parts that only work with the GNUstep runtime (prototypes, restartable exceptions and some introspection stuff).
An Xcode project is bundled to build both EtoileFoundation and EtoileXML on Mac OS X, and EtoileFoundation on iOS.
Note: EtoileXML is unsupported on iOS presently. For now, ETSocket and NSData(ETHash) are also missing on iOS, because the system doesn’t include the OpenSSL library.
NSObject+Prototypes.m, NSBlocks.m and CArray.m are not compiled on Mac OS X.
ETSocket.m, ETStackTraceRecorder.m, NSData+Hash.m, NSObject+Prototypes.m, NSBlocks.m and CArray.m are not compiled on iOS.
Warning: Xcode 4.6 or higher is required to build these projects.
If you want to use classes from EtoileThread or EtoileXML, their headers must be imported explicitly and EtoileThread or EtoileXML must be linked explicitly. EtoileFoundation doesn’t link them.
Unlike EtoileThread which has no dependency, EtoileXML depends on EtoileFoundation and links it.
EtoileThread (not available)
See the README in the EtoileThread subdirectory.
See the README in the EtoileXML subdirectory.